Deciding it’s time to shed some extra pounds is kind of a big deal. To get started effectively, you’ll need to make a plan of action. Of course, it’s not that hard to find a weight loss workout plan for men. Fitness programs basically bombard the masses with options!
But with all the options available, choosing a weight loss workout can definitely be complicated. We recommend sticking with something simple. Dropping pounds is secondary to getting healthy. When you follow a simple plan, you can monitor what’s going on with your body and adjust accordingly. Here’s our idea of getting a simple start:
The Makeup of a Basic Weight Loss Workout Plan for Men
For your body to burn fat and gain muscle, you’ll need to be working out in a few different ways. A healthy blend of cardio, strength training, and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) is best.
The easiest way to integrate this sort of mix into your workout is to create a simple plan for strength training and to participate in fitness classes for your cardio and HIIT exercise. If you aren’t able to start classes right away, kick off your weight loss with:
- 30 minutes jogs on the treadmill 3 days a week
- 15 minutes on the elliptical 3 days a week
- 20 minutes cycling or stair climbing 3 days a week
- Complete a specialized HIIT program on your own at least once a week
A Simple Sample Plan
Expect to work out a couple of days each week to see results. It’s best to perform this simple plan every other day 3 days a week. On 3 alternating days, focus on cardio or HIIT using classes or a program. Take one day each week to rest.
Follow or tweak this basic strength training plan to get started on your weight loss journey:1. BENCH PRESSING
- 2 sets of 8 barbell chest presses
- 2 sets of 10 dumbbell triceps presses
- 1 set of 8 incline barbell chest presses
- 1 set of 8 decline barbell chest presses
2. UPPER BODY CURLS
- 2 sets of 10 seated dumbbell bicep curls
- 2 sets of 10 standing barbell bicep curls
- 2 sets of 10 dumbbell hammer curls
- 2 sets of 8 preacher curls
3. DIVERSE SQUATS
- 1 set of 8 hack squats
- 1 set of 8 barbell squats
- 1 set of 15 wide stance barbell squats
4. LOWER BODY LIFTING
- 2 sets of 20 forward-backward lunges
- 1 set of 20 on the leg curl machine
- 2 sets of 10 on the leg press
5. ABDOMINAL EXERCISES
- 2 sets of 15 abdominal curls
- 2 sets of 20 exercise ball crunches
- 1 set of 10 reverse leg raises
- 3 sets of 30-second superman planks
Supporting Weight Loss with Nutritional Eating
Sticking with the “keep it simple” concept, when you start your weight loss journey, commit to basic diet rules. You don’t necessarily need a regimented diet program. Just eat healthily:
- Cut back on carbs and sugars
- Consume more protein, fruits, and vegetables
- Eat smaller serving sizes
- Snack on healthy foods every 3 waking hours
If you’re doing the work to lose weight at the gym, you’ll need to be eating to support your growing muscles. The key is really just to not fuel yourself with junk or excess.
What Are You Waiting For?
The hardest part of the weight loss journey is getting into a routine. Once you’ve started regularly working out, you can slowly work your way up from blasting fat to packing on muscle with more advanced HIIT sessions and other higher level classes.
To get motivated and into the habit of working out as you launch this process, start with our FREE 8 Week Shred program.